Sunday, August 29, 2010

A rumbly in Melissa's tummbly

Baby Shower #2!

Seems everyone has gotten themselves knocked up here lately (don't these people know that we're in a recession?!). And I volunteered to make the cake for the baby shower for my very favorite astronomer, the BEAUTIFUL Melissa and her (not a geek) husband Stephen. They're expecting a little boy (who will probably be a giant nerd, but that's okay) any second now.

See? Didn't I tell you she's purty?

Picture above by Sara J Williams Photography. Hope she doesn't mind me borrowing the picture since I gave her a plug. :)

The baby shower theme was Winnie the Pooh, so Pooh cake she got! We went around a while to try to decide on a design for the cake. But the mommy-to-be said to me in an email: "I think when you Said Pooh, I just had this mental image of a full-blown scene with all the characters and trees and everything with cute little quirks like the Mr. Sanders sign and leaves blowing a blustery day and whatnot." I've never doubted that this astronomer is a brilliant woman, but this was actually pretty close to the original idea that I had but scrapped and never pitched to her. It was supposed to be Classic Pooh, but when she wanted Disney Pooh I wasn't sure what to do with it.

So blustery days and Mr. Sanders she got! I love the cartoons and all the funny little Pooh things. And my very favorite part ever is when Pooh sings "I'm just a little, black rain..cloud... Hovering over the honey tree" Too cute. So I wanted Pooh and his balloon to take center stage.

Again, I have no pictures of the process, but lots of the finished product.

Pooh's House- Complete with the Mr. Sanders sign and the bell.
Piglet's House- This sign hangs in front of his first house (the one that got flooded). He thought his grandfather's name was Trespassers William.
Roo! This was my favorite out of all the characters I made because he was so darn cute. And with him was Kanga and Roo's mailbox.
The bridge where they play Pooh Sticks. And I learned that this is a real place too! They have Pooh Sticks championships. It was originally Posingford Bridge in Ashdown Forest. You can visit next time you're in the U.K. It's on my list now.
T-I-double-GUH-ER. :) With his corkscrew tail even. 
Evil Piglet-I don't know what happened here. I've tried to pin-point what's wrong, but I just can't put my finger on it. *Sigh* Oh well. At least he looks all blustery, right?
-
Pooh! (sorta) Apparently the camera focused on Pooh instead of the bee, but it was a nice picture of him anyway.
Rabbit's wheelbarrow- I was gonna make Rabbit and his garden too, but he got dropped last minute. That's what happens when you get a real job that you have to work full time the week before the shower.
Eeyore! He's sweet and adorable and I LOVE how the mohawk turned out.
Pooh's Thoughtful Spot- Halfway between Pooh's house and Piglet's.

The Front

The back

The side
The cake! Chocolate cake, caramel mousse filling, chocolate buttercream frosting (this stuff'll give you the sugar highs). But it looked pretty when it was cut.
Tristan (the cousin-to-be)- The picture was funny, couldn't resist adding it in. :)
And the aftermath- This almost makes me a little sad to see all my little critters like this. We had Tristan to thank for all the ears being eaten off. He's southern, he can't help it. :P

Congratulations Melissa and Stephen! May your baby not be a geek or too big a nerd.

2 comments:

  1. A couple of things....
    The cake was so yummy and adorable.
    I absolutely LOVE the photo of Tristan. Hilarious.
    I don't mind you using the photo at all, and thanks for the plug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really sara the cake is looking yummy and the design is incredible.

    ReplyDelete